Wednesday, April 10, 2013

How to Banish the Reading Doldrums

If you're bored when you're reading, my friend, you're holding the wrong book.

If it's your economics textbook, sorry. I can't offer much help on that front.

But if you (or your kids) are looking for a book that really grabs your interest and doesn't let go, let me suggest... fantasy. I heard that groan.

I'll be honest, fantasy isn't my favorite thing to read, and I've known other reading snobs who considered themselves above that particular section of shelves until a certain title changed their minds.

The much-maligned genre suffers from one-bad-apple syndrome, I think. Let's face it, "campy" hits like Attack of the Killer Tomatoes are campy because, frankly, they're really, really bad. That said, there are plenty of excellent fantasy books to be read. Some are enjoyable for adults as well as kids. (Remember that series about a boy wizard?)

Here, a few titles that might change your mind about fantasy and convince you to dive into a (slightly) different world:
The Phantom Tollbooth  - a splendid read-together book, for children 3rd grade and up*
A Wrinkle in Time  - 3d grade and up
Timeline and Diana Galbadon's great Outlander series are for adults, only, really.
Dr. Who  fans would certainly take me to task if I failed to mention them. (So, there.)

What fantasy title(s) have you liked, in spite of yourself? I'd love to hear about it.

* Writers, you must read the NPR interview with Norman Juster. And if you're looking to bump up your child's vocabulary, head straight for the Tollbooth. 

No comments: