Sunday, April 12, 2009

There Really Are Cats in This Book!

There are cats in this book by Viviane Schwarz
Candlewick Press (c)2008
"The cats aren't on this page," the book begins.
"The cats aren't on this page, either. They're on the next page. They'd love to play with you. They're very friendly."

And so begins the charming picture book. The first time I read it I was alone in the library, giggling. (Just in case you saw me, and thought I was insane) I brought it home because I knew my son would laugh out loud when we read it together. I was right!

Playful fuzzballs Moonpie, Tiny, and Andre are as interactive as two-dimensional critters can be as they play with yarn, climb in and out of cardboard boxes, have a pillow fight, and go for a whale of an adventure in a fish tank.

Several die cut pages encourage older preschool age readers to turn the pages gently. Moonpie, Tiny, and Andre are very appurrrciative, too.

"I KNEW you were nice," says Moonpie. The whole book is.

No comments: