Saturday, July 11, 2009

Doggone

Cynthia Rylant has written a slew of super picture books, plus the early chapter books series featuring Henry & Mudge and Mr. Putter & Tabby.

They're all delightful. Well, almost all. I have to admit I'm not particularly thrilled with The Great Gracie Chase: Stop that Dog! (c) 2001 - although I love the cover!

My son and I picked up two other books by the prolific author, however, that will be difficult to send back to the library. Dog Heaven is a delight - a must read for anyone with a canine companion - and The Old Woman Who Named Things is also precious.

Probably obvious from the titles: both deal (gently) with death. My son has been talking a lot about death lately, and I hope these picture books help him sort things out in his own way. Whether they help or not, they're great books and the illustrations in both are perfect.

No comments: