Sunday, October 23, 2011

Catching up with Catacombs

I'm not the only one who does this, am I? Sometimes it takes me a lonnnnnnng time to get around to reading my National Geographic mags...but I can't cancel the subscription. This stuff's too good.

I had the house to myself long enough one day this week to enjoy the February (2011, I should point out) issue with the cover feature, Under Paris. The authors - experienced cavers - explore the city's Catacombs and tunnel life, describing Paris as a "city with a subconscious." Some National Geography mag articles never seem dated.

Unfortunately, the February issue was eerily timely, too, with its focus on traumatic brain injuries in sports - especially football. The article was sadly too relevant after 16-year old Ridge Barden died of injuries sustained after a hard hit in high school football game in upstate New York last week.

Sigh.

What kind of reading are you catching up on this week?



No comments: