Thursday, September 20, 2007

Gifts to Open Again & Again

I don't wait for holidays or birthdays to shop, I pick up gifts all year. (And sometimes I remember where they are when it's time to wrap.) A couple I've been delighted with recently:

1- Ribbit: Flip and See Who Froggy Can Be. Yes, I know, it's a hot title; maybe you've seen it. My local library doesn't have it, though, and I bet a lot of libraries won't carry this hands-on picture book because the pages would likely get mangled quickly. Haven't seen it? Get your hands on it; it's a hoot. While there's a running "story," the real story here is in what you can do with the pictures. Each page is divided horizontally into thirds. Readers (I recommend it for toddlers on up) can make froggy be a cowboy, cowgirl, doctor, ballerina... you get the idea. I'd say it's an ideal gift for a kindergarten student, and the whole family can laugh along.

2- Cooking Rocks! Rachael Ray's 30-Minute Meals for Kids is a title I didn't want to like (I'm not a RR fan) but I did. Maybe it was the hip language and layout (your GH is your Grownup Helper, and some photos feature the GH in some pretty funny situations), maybe it was the Turkey Sushi (looks like a cool lunchbox item). Whatever, I was sold. The book is divided into sections with recipes by ages (4-6, 7-11, 12-up and a "take these to college and you'll have a ton of friends" section), and all of the recipes are formatted to be easy to follow. I bought this for an 11 year old girl - and I guess I'll give it to her, but I might have to buy my own copy. Sigh. That happens to me a lot. Oh, and I think the title is macho enough for boys, too.

3- Hey! I said a couple! It's your turn. Recommend some great-to-give books on a post... please! The holidays are coming....

No comments: