Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Don't Judge a Book By ... Oh, why not?

Why not judge a book by its cover?

Passing an absolute judgment on a book based on its cover is superficial, sure, but hey, you gotta start somewhere when you're selecting your next read.

For example, I picked up One of Those Hideous Books Where The Mother Dies (well, after I stopped laughing at the title) and couldn't put it down - because my daughter yanked it out of my hands. We took it to the register, and then home, where she read it all in the next few hours. I planned to read it this week, but then her teacher borrowed it before I could start it.

Anyway, my point is some good-to-great books have great titles. Some fabulous books have terrible titles. You just have to start somewhere when you're evaluating a book. A title like One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies is gonna get me every time.

Sonya Sones is the author of that "hideous" book, by the way. You can learn more about Sones and her books at her rather impressive website.


Headlines Grab Me, Too
One of the (too) many things that land in my in-box is ComputerWorld's newsletter; sometimes a great place to find out about a new virus (translation - before you get it), other times, it's way more tech than I can digest. Here's one I couldn't delete, based on the article's title, Data Centers Get Religion. I don't want to ruin the surprise, but let's just say I was a bit disappointed in the article.

No comments: