Monday, September 29, 2008

Give Kids a Sporting Chance

An article in some magazine (Health, maybe) really spoke to me this weekend. The article was about kids and sports, and as a new-on-the-coaching-side-of-the-field parent, it hit me right between the eyes with this little tidbit:

Most parents are surprised by their own emotions when they watch their kid(s) play sports.

No kidding.

So after gobbling up a bunch of idiots-guide books about coaching soccer earlier this year, I've added a few books to my read-and-recommend list. They are:

It's Just a Game! (You say it to your kid; why don't you follow this classic advice?)

Whose Game Is It, Anyway?: A Guide to Helping Your Child Get the Most from Sports, Organized by Age and Stage, by Richard D. Ginsburg

101 Ways to Be a Terrific Sports Parent, by Joel Fish


Over the years, I've also recommended Parenting Young Athletes the Ripken Way by, of course, Cal Ripken. It's a quick read, and it's not all about baseball. While the message is a simple one, Ripken repeated it enough, and with enough conviction, that it really sunk into my thick head: the game is for the kids, let them play.

I've tried to let this be my mantra. I've tried.

And I offer the list above for other parents who want to try. Trust me. In a few years, you'll be glad that there aren't a lot of home movies featuring your screaming face, hollering as if there was a Superbowl ring (and mega-bucks endorsements) hanging on the outcome of a JV game.

Your kids might appreciate it, too.
- - - - - - - - -

If you're tired of screaming (ahem - coaching) your kid but he (or she) really wants to get better at soccer, consider Epic Soccer Training by 3-time Adidas All-American Matt Smith. The program is designed for players at every level (hoping to make varsity as a freshman, maybe?) and offers money-back guarantee if you don't like it or don't get results.



1 comment:

The Coach said...

There is alot of soccer material out there. One Free Manual that has 250+ pages and covers all aspects of coaching soccer, including free soccer drills can be found by subscribing to this free soccer newsletter