Monday, December 12, 2011

Dave Barry's Merry Little Tale

At 116 pages (including pictures) The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog is so short it risks being ignored (why bother?) or annoying the reader (is that it?!) but it's Dave Barry, and it's Christmastime after all, so perhaps "good things come in small packages" was the operating principle when I picked up the petite book.

OK, who's kidding who? I picked it up because Dave Barry wrote it. I've only recently stopped chuckling at inappropriate times after reading Naked Came the Manatee, and I finished that years ago.  While Walter didn't offer as many laugh-out-loud moments, I felt pretty good when I closed the book. It was sweet and warm, like spiked eggnog, but unlike that delightful concoction, this one didn't leave me feeling like there wasn't enough.

I read the nostalgic narrative in about 40 minutes, and it was just right. In his easy, conversational tone, Barry bundles memories of Christmas, 1960, into a singular story. The author manages to include a dozen or so funny, sweet anecdotes about teenage angst and family conflicts without distracting from the main plot, about the annual Christmas pageant and the demise of a beloved family pet. I know, that last bit is a downer. But honestly, it doesn't feel like a kick in the stomach coming from Barry. I felt pretty warm and fuzzy when I finished the book, and that's not the spiked eggnog talking.


- - - - - Looking for a light pick for your book club? The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog will put everyone in the holiday spirit.

No comments: