Tuesday, May 7, 2013

In Step with Mom

It's that time of year. Time to reminisce with mom, remember her, honor her influence in your life.
Maybe you're feeling a little guilty, too - like perhaps a gift is in order? (Hey, I'm a daughter and a mom. I get it.)

Walking, biking, hiking, strolling and sightseeing in ClevelandNaturally, I have to take this opportunity to remind you that 60 Hikes within 60 Miles of Cleveland makes a perrrrrfect gift for the all the strolling, running, jogging, biking, rollerblading, rockclimbing, marathon, tough-mudder moms in Northeast Ohio. And, the 60 Hikes series is available for Cincinnati, Chicago, New York, Orlando, San Francisco, San Diego, Phoenix, LA, DC, Houston, and dozens of other metro areas in addition to Cleveland.

Now back to reminiscing.

While I credit my dad with giving me the "hiking gene" and teaching me to enjoy walking fast (because when I hit the trail with dad, the rule was keep-up-or-stay-home)  it was mom who taught me to appreciate the little things along the way.

"That's Trillium," she'd say. "And that's Phlox. And do you know what that is?"

"I just like to listen to the water. Isn't it relaxing?"

"Look at that. No, not over there. Over here. Squinting in the sun gives you wrinkles, honey."

I'll admit she slowed me down more than I wanted, many times.
I want to walk! Not sit on a bench, I'd almost scream - barely, just barely, able to keep that voice in my head from popping out of my mouth.


Mom is 83 now. And I'm almost grown up enough to sit on a bench, patiently (?) while she amazes me with her knowledge of wildflowers, and myriad opinions about things I could be doing just a little bit better...

*sigh* Once a mom, always a mom, eh?

To everyone who is, or has ever loved, one: Happy Mother's Day! 

No comments: