Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Last Testament: God's Last Word?

The Tweet of God led me to The Last Testament, by David Javerbaum (well, he gives the big guy credit, in an as-told-to sort of way). Javerbaum is former head writer for The Daily Show.

It's less sacrilegious than you might think, and not quite as funny as I expected. (God's tweets, on the other hand, make me type LOL often, and loud.)

God, it turns out, has a snarky side. And even He commits typos. (The first I spotted was a misplaced comma on page 8, and from there - well, I can only hope he is merciful with his editors.)

Speaking of merciful, God keeps His chapters short, so The Last Testament isn't too taxing on us mere mortals, distracted as we are with, well, everything. While the book wasn't all I hoped, I certainly enjoyed it - especially God's apparent ability to laugh at himself, and share various foibles as he reflects back on what a long, strange trip it's been.

For example, it was funny in a sort of sickening, nostalgic way, to learn that it was Cain who committed the first murder - so he had no way of knowing what to do, exactly - and that he invented sarcasm. Which, apparently, hasn't killed anyone yet.

(I'll find out, I guess, after he reads this review.)

I rate this book "worth reading" (what? you think I have a death wish? the guy has a verified Twitter account) and recommend it for anytime, except, perhaps, when in Rome.

The new guy there seems to have an open mind, but, you know, just to be safe  - maybe you should leave your copy of The Last Testament on the plane.

No comments: